Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Playing the Game


It’s a wonderful thing that without wanting to win you cannot play but if you are not willing to lose you cannot play either.



“When you play a game, you want to win,” he said. “If you don’t want to win, you can’t play a game. When I play a game, I want to win — I really want to win. That’s why I play. But if I lose, it’s OK with me. That’s the beauty of the game. It’s a wonderful thing that without wanting to win you cannot play but if you are not willing to lose you cannot play either.”


Complete attention is the key. “You can do your job half-heartedly,” he said. “You can be married half-heartedly. You can even fall in love half-heartedly. But you can’t play a game half-heartedly. You won’t be there if you play half-heartedly. It’s absolute involvement. Without involvement, there’s no game. If there’s no involvement, there’s no spiritual process. And spiritual process is an intense involvement with life. Sport is a good training ground for spirituality, not the other way round.”



No comments:

Post a Comment